I think we can all agree 2016 has had its share of ups and downs. From a personal standpoint, the last twelves months have been a big for me. It was my first year as a full time writer, I hit the USA Today bestseller list, was nominated for an industry award with the Romance Writers of Australia, and signed my first ever book deal at auction. I listed some of these things, as well as other bits and bobs from my year over on the Lovecats Downunder blog.
Since I don’t want to double up from that blog post, I thought it would be fun to share my favourite things from 2016…
I’ve never been a big TV watcher in the past, I think because I couldn’t seem to remember when shows were on and would always miss episodes or lose interest. Thanks to streaming, I now watch a little more TV. It’s my fave way to unwind after the workday with my husband. Here are my favourites from last year:
- Game of Thrones – OMG I love this show so much. I was very late to the bandwagon, and didn’t start watching until season 5 was already out. But now I’m all caught up and can say it’s hands-down one of the best shows I’ve ever watched.
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine – Hilarious, and definitely not my normal style. But I have a huge crush on Andy Samberg. True fact.
- Better Call Saul – this is filling my drama needs post Breaking Bad. Saul is a fantastic character, and I’ve always had a soft spot for Mike.
- The Good Place – wacky, off-beat and totally unique. My kind of comedy.
My goal is generally to read about 50 books a year, close to one per week. While I do read a lot of romance, I also enjoy YA (particularly fantasy and dystopian stories), any kind of survival story, crime, thrillers, and post apocalyptic fiction. These are my top picks for what I read in 2016 (if you want to see the whole list, you can see my Goodreads 2016 shelf)…
- Wrong by Jana Aston hilarious, sexy contemporary romance. I read A LOT in this genre and this book totally stood apart from the crowd.
- Barbarian Alien by Ruby Dixon if someone had told me I would fall head over heels for this series, I wouldn’t have believed them. I’m not huge into sci-fi so I thought the whole alien hero thing wouldn’t be my jam. WRONG! These books are fun, steamy and I can’t get enough of them.
- Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo Fabulous high-fantasy YA trilogy with a Russian bent. These kept me turning the pages like crazy. I read the first two books in 2016 and can’t recommend them enough.
- Girl Underwater by Claire Kells I’m not sure how to categorize this book, other than to say it’s about girl who survives a plane crash and it’s told in alternating chapters of the past and present day. A short read, but very gripping. Loved it.
I’m a total makeup junkie. Always have been, always will be.
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara I’m hard on mascara – I want it to volumize, lengthen, separate and be the blackest of blacks. I’ll toss a new mascara out within the first month because I can’t tolerate shitty lashes. It’s serious business, folks. This mascara is everything – great brush, great formula, great staying power. Total winner.
- Colourpop Ultra Satin Lip liquid lipsticks best liquid lipstick formula on the market and they’re only $6USD. Unlike a lot of liquid lippies, these don’t dry your lips out. They’re not 100% transfer proof, but the staying power is fantastic. Personal favourite shades include London Fog (Pictured) and Alyssa.
- Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Liner I will be wearing glitter until the end of my days, that’s a promise. This is glitter without the hassle. It’s a liner, but works great dabbed over eyeshadow for a glittery look without the need for a glitter adhesive. Midnight Cowboy is personal fave.
- Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer (or NYX Angel Veil primer for a budget-friendly option) this is a silky-finish primer that takes out shine and smoothes over pores to allow your foundation to lay more smoothly on your skin. Makes a good foundation look great. Definitely a staple in my makeup kit.
Honourable mentions: Tarte Rainforest of the Sea foundation, Essie Gel Couture nail polishes, Milani Rose Powder blush, Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow kit in Gleam, Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder, and Laura Merceir Matte Radiance Baked Powder.
Awesome other things from 2016 that don’t have their own category.
- Lapsang Souchong tea – I’m a sucker for anything smoky and while I’ve had this tea in the past, I rediscovered it in 2016.
- My Macbook Pro – it’s light and sexy. ’nuff said.
- Avocado and feta on toast – this will always be a favourite! Actually, I could just say avocado is a favourite full stop.
- Visiting my family back in Australia – I spent a month back home and it was so good. Much needed.
- Chicken and waffles – it shouldn’t work, but it does.
- Getting my Canadian Permanent Residency – yaaay to not being kicked out of the country!
Those were a few of my favourite things from 2016. What were yours? Let me know if you had a favourite book, TV show or something else from last year in the comments below.