I’ve missed doing the ‘5 Things‘ post series, it’s been so long! So today I wanted to share with you 5 things I keep on my writing desk.
I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated space in my apartment for writing. I have a desk that sits in the alcove behind our kitchen (great position because it’s close to the coffee machine) where I face a window and have plenty of natural light. It’s small, but it’s mine.
These are the 5 things you’ll always find on my desk (aside from the obvious, my laptop!):
- Romance Llama: my writing mascot, a furry stuffed llama with a lopsided smile, lives on my desk. He keeps me company during the day when I’m home alone, and he puts a smile on my face. Want to know more about romance llama?
- Noise Cancelling Headphones: Sometimes I’m still writing by the time my husband gets home. Often I write on the weekend. Noise cancelling headphones keep me sane when all I can hear are the not-so soothing sounds of GTA 5.
- A candle: I’m always burning candles, I love the way they scent the apartment and the flickering flame makes me feel all warm and cosy. The current one on my desk is Yankee Candle Hazelnut Coffee – mmmmm!
- A notebook: I’m a little bit old school in that I only take notes by hand. I write and plan on my laptop, but when revising or thinking up an idea for a new story I find it easier to write it down. This is also my excuse for buying endless amounts of cute stationary.
- A throw: It can get very cold when you’re sitting by a window, especially in winter. I love to rug up in a cuddly light-weight blanket when I write – my current one is from IKEA.
What are the things you always have by your side when writing?