Here are a few of the questions I get asked frequently about my writing. If you’d like to know anything that isn’t asked here, please feel free to contact me.
Where do you get your ideas from?
Anywhere and everywhere! My first book, Only the Brave Try Ballet, was inspired by an article I read about football players taking ballet lessons for increased flexibility and injury prevention. Sometimes I get ideas from people around me, from conversations overheard in the street (be careful what you say, you never know when a writer might be lurking close by!) and sometimes they just come out of nowhere. I do my best thinking in the shower or while washing the dishes.
Are you heroes inspired by anyone? (Are you heroes inspired by your husband?)
People ask me this all the time! As much as I love my husband, I don’t fancy sharing any intimate details of our relationship. I promise all my heroes are figments of my own imagination, though the visuals are often inspired by movie and TV stars. I keep Pinterest boards for all my stories, so you can see the hunky guys who inspire my heroes.
How did you get published?
Perseverance, blind faith, good timing and luck. If you want to know what happened step-by-step, check out this blog post.
What are the must-haves for a successful writing career?
Can I tell you when I get there…? All jokes aside, I’m still learning the ropes and finding my way through this exciting and wonderful career path. So far I believe that the keys to success include (but are not limited to):
- A tight support network (read my thoughts on this here)
- A constant supply of coffee
- The ability to laugh at yourself and to know the difference between constructive criticism and not-so-constructive criticism
- A desire that outweighs fear
- A passion for what you do and for the genre you write (particularly important for romance writers, in my humble opinion)
- A dedication to improving your craft
I’ve answered questions on other websites too! Check out the following:
Any tips or help for aspiring romance writers?
I owe a lot of what I know today to the generosity of other authors whom I’ve met along my publishing journey. I always do my best to pay it forward by answering questions and sharing what I’ve learned.
From my blog:
- 5 Writing Craft Resources for Romance Writers
- 10 Things to do while waiting to hear from an editor
- What to take to a writers conference
- Writers conference survival guide for introverts
- The “Writers dealing with X” blog series
On other sites:
- Mills & Boon UK – The Support Factor
- SOLD! Harlequin Blog – 7 Things writers want to know
- SOLD! Harlequin Blog – How to create leap-off-the-page characters
- Melbourne Romance Writers Guild blog – How to tackle editor revisions Part I
- Melbourne Romance Writers Guild blog – How to tackle editor revisions Part II
- Amber A Barden blog – 5 Tips for getting to the end
- The Pink Heart Society – Baby got back…story
- The Pink Heart Society – What happens after the contract
- The Pink Heart Society – Hook, Line & Sinker